Like mimosas, the first flowers in the smartphone world arrive before spring. Samsung is ahead of the MWC and the other competitors with three new additions to the Samsung Galaxy S family: Samsung Galaxy S20, Samsung Galaxy S20+, and Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra.
Here we will focus on the smallest of this luxury family, the Samsung Galaxy S20. A more compact and easy-to-use phone with a steel casing and a 6.2-inch screen with HDR+ and 120Hz refresh rate.
For the first time, we will have the option of recording video in 8K and zoom of up to 30 times. Here you will find all the information you need to know about the Samsung Galaxy S20. Let’s go!
Samsung Galaxy S20 Specification
|Samsung Galaxy S20|
|Screen||6.2 inches with Dynamic AMOLED technology, Quad HD + resolution (563 dpi), 120Hz screen refresh rate and HDR10 + compatibility|
|Main Camera||Ultra wide-angle of 12 megapixels, focal 2.2, and pixel size of 1.4um|
Wide-angle of 12 megapixels, focal 1.8, OIS (optical stabilization), 1.8um pixel size
Telephoto of 64 megapixels, focal 2.0, OIS (optical stabilization ), 0.8um pixel size
|Front Camera||10 megapixel sensor and focal aperture f / 2.2, 1.22um pixel size|
|Internal memory||128 GB|
|Extension||Through micro SD cards up to 1 TB|
|Processor and RAM||Exynos 990 7nm 64-bit with eight cores at 2.73GHz + 2.6GHz + 2GHz|
8/12 GB of RAM
|Battery||4,000 mAh with fast charging and wireless charging|
|OS||Android 10 under One UI 2.0|
|Connectivities||WiFi 4 × 4 MIMO, up to 7CA, LAA, LTE Cat20 (up to 2.0Gps download and 150 Mbps upload) or 5G sub-6, Bluetooth 5.0, dual band GPS (GLONASS, Beidou, SBAS and Galileo), NFC and USB type C 3.1, proximity sensor, RGB sensor, accelerometer, etc.|
|Design||Combination of glass and metal with rounded edges and slightly curved screen|
Available colors: blue, black and gray
IP68 certification, water and dust resistance
|Dimensions||151.7 x 69.1 x 7.9 mm and 163 grams|
|Featured Functions||Up to 30x zoom|
Fingerprint sensor on screen
120Hz refresh rate on screen
Video recording in 8K
|Release date||To be confirmed|
Main Strengths of the Galaxy S20
The Samsung Galaxy S20 may be the smallest of the models presented, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a top-of-the-line machine. These are the main features that stand out from the others:
- Samsung has focused on one of the areas it is best at screens. The Samsung Galaxy S20’s is less oversized than the S20+ (6.7 inches) and S20 Ultra (6.9 inches), but it still has the same attractions. It has a refresh rate of 120Hz. On a practical level, that means that both menus and app opening will be more fluid. This is also apparent in games that support 120Hz screens. At the moment the list is not much, but we have games like Pokémon GO or Minecraft. It is yet to be seen if other games like Fortnite, which so far only had this support on the iPad Pro, will also be added.
- There is a digital zoom of up to 30 x magnification. This is not new because we already saw it on the Huawei P30 last year, but the first tests indicate that they have done a good job of processing the image to remove much of the noise.
- 8K video recording. It’s not only attractive because it leverages the latest generation of TVs. There is also a small icon to take a shot at any time and get an image with a 33-megapixel resolution.
- A new camera mode that creates a collage of images taken with all the cameras while recording a short video. This is done with artificial intelligence, taking pictures when it detects faces, applying automatic filters, etc.
- 5G network support
Samsung Galaxy S22 and Galaxy S22+:...
Samsung Galaxy S22 and Galaxy S22+: the cameras promise, but the surprise is in the AMD GPU
- The loss of resolution when 120Hz of the screen is activated, from QuadHD+ to Full HD.
- The battery issue. Although on paper the 4000 milliamps is a good battery figure, we don’t know how much battery power the 120Hz feature will consume until we try it out.
- In terms of design, the module with the three cameras comes out quite a bit from the back and makes the phone lean slightly when it”s placed on a smooth surface.
- Despite being very beautiful, mobiles with glass backs are still a magnet for fingerprints, which makes the final result look dull.
- Samsung Galaxy S20 design
Design and Photos
The Samsung Galaxy S20 is the most comfortable of the three devices to hold and operate with one hand. If you don’t have big hands, it’s probably the most realistic option. The Korean company still relies on the combination of glass on the front and back and metal on the sides. Both the screen and the bezels are curved, which gives it a more stylish and attractive look. It is too thin to accommodate a 4,000-milliampere (168-gram) battery.
You should also know that it’s IP68 certified against dust and water, so you shouldn’t worry if you accidentally drop it in the water. Both the fingerprint reader and the selfies camera itself are located within the same screen (the camera is perforated in the upper central area). Currently, the Korean company is marketing the Samsung Galaxy S20 in three different colors: black, gray, and iridescent violet.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.