Windows 11 is a reality. This new operating system is called to be the successor of the current version, Windows 10. The company itself has been in charge in the last weeks of increasing the expectation among the users. However, this has reached maximum levels after the leak of the Windows 11 beta in the form of ISO. In Techidence, we have managed to install it on our computer and use it functionally. Do you want to know how? Keep reading because we will tell you.
What Do I Need to Install Windows 11 On My Computer?
Windows 11 is installed in a very similar way to its predecessors. As it is in a beta phase, it is advisable to install it using a virtualization system. Local installation is only feasible in very specific cases, such as having a computer exclusively for software testing. If your computer is for daily use, it is better to opt for the method explained here.
To install Windows 11 and to test it on your computer without modifying the current operating system you need:
- The leaked ISO of Windows 11. Currently, it can be downloaded from Mega and HiDrive.
- A copy of VirtualBox. It is free software that you can get from its official website.
And that’s it, you don’t need anything else. In case you want to install Windows 11 locally, that is, on your computer’s hard drive, you will need to create a boot drive using a specific program for it. Remember that, as long as the company does not say otherwise, the minimum requirements to be taken into account are those of Windows 10.
|Processor||1 GHz or faster processor or system on a chip (SoC)|
|RAM||1GB for 32-bit or 2GB for 64-bit|
|Hard disk space||16GB for a 32-bit OS or 32GB for a 64-bit OS|
|Graphic card||DirectX 9 or later with a WDDM 1.0 driver|
|Screen||800 × 600 pixels|
Windows 11 Beta: Step by Step Guide on How to Install It
Once you have both files, install VirtualBox on your computer and run the application. Then, click on New.
- Give it a name and place it on the hard disk. Select Windows 10 as the operating system. Click Next.
- Add at least 3 GB of RAM for your virtual machine. Click Next.
- Click on Create a virtual hard disk now.
- Choose the VDI option.
- Select Dynamically Reserved.
- Allocate at least 50 GB to your virtual hard disk.
Now you have a virtual machine where to install Windows 11. Now it is necessary that you go to the settings of the machine using the button Configuration and in the section, Storage click on the icon of the CD. This will show the Empty icon. Click on the CD icon on the right side of the window and use the Select a disk file option. Using the file explorer choose the Windows 11 ISO that you have downloaded. At this point, start your virtual machine to begin the installation.
How To Perform Clean Install of Win...How To Perform Clean Install of Windows 11Setting Up Windows 11 from Scratch with Virtualbox
Once you have finished copying the necessary files, your virtual machine will restart. As you can see, the appearance of the initial setup wizard has changed completely. It now follows a much more attractive and coherent design pattern with the rest of the system. What do you have to do from now on?
These are all the adjustments that you will have to configure during your first minutes with Windows 11:
- Choose the region: Choose the country in which you reside so that Windows adapts the hour format and other parameters.
- Keyboard layout: Be sure to add the correct distribution so that the punctuation marks are located in the correct place.
- Create your account: In this step, you can create a local user or use your Microsoft account to register your profile in Windows 11.
- Create a PIN: The wizard will ask you to create a new PIN to access your virtual machine.
- Localization settings: In the next two steps, you will have to decide if you want to activate the localization and the options to find the computer in case of loss. You can skip them if you are installing them on a virtual machine.
- Privacy options: Indicate whether you want to send additional diagnostic data to Microsoft and improve touch typing input. There are also options related to personalized advertising.
After configuring all this, some optional aspects will remain to indicate for what you are going to use the equipment. This serves for Windows to better adapt its performance. Also if you want to use local storage or OneDrive. Finally, Windows 11 will finish the configuration and the most awaited moment will arrive: to be placed in front of the new design proposed by Microsoft.
Is it Advisable to Install Windows 11 Beta?
As we have mentioned throughout this article, installing Windows 11 only serves, at least for the moment, to test some of its new features. From the configuration wizard to the new widgets, through the renewed start menu, the changes in this new version are remarkable. However, this is still a beta with an unstable operation and is not recommended for daily use.
On the other hand, this is likely a test version before many of the leaks we have seen so far. Why do we know this? Elements such as the new settings menu or the activity center with the design adapted to the interface patterns are not included. The most probable thing is that it will be on June 24 when finally we will know all the innovations that Windows 11 will bring. For the moment, it is necessary to be satisfied with this advance that, although limited, is all a delight for the followers of Microsoft and the lovers of the software in general.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.